Re: Bind security announce

On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 18:34 -0800, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> Well I waited to see if someone came our with a solution to this problem,
> none seen. So I'm updating another machine, here is what "dselect" is
> showing me:

What that output doesn't include, which it should, is that there should
be two *new* packages to install - namely libdns58 and libisc50; were
those mentioned at any point in the process of selecting the updated
bind9 packages for installation?

[...]
> OK as you can see it is going to update bind9 and bind9utils along with
> other libaries needed for bind9. So let's do the update:
[...]
[package list including liblwres50]
> The following packages will be REMOVED
>    bind9 bind9-host bind9utils dnsutils libbind9-50 libisccfg50
[...]
> 32 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

The last line looks odd, given that there should be two newly installed
packages (see above).  The fact that liblwres50 manages to get upgraded
and the lack of the new packages being installed suggests that dselect
has been told that it may not install the new packages and the conflict
between that and being asked to upgrade packages which depend on the new
packages has been "solved" by removing the "problem" packages.

It's been a long time since I've used dselect so I may have
misremembered the proposals it would make in this case.  I would
certainly have expected it to prompt for the installation of libdns58
and libisc50 though.

Regards,

Adam