Ubuntu plans for Natty release

Hey all.

There are a couple of things in mesa that we'd like to do for Natty that
could do with some coördination with Debian-X:

1) Ship both the classic and gallium versions of r300 & r600, and have
the DDX select between them based on kms support and an xorg.conf
setting (default to r300g, as that's the default upstream, and whichever
r600 driver ends up being default in 7.10).  This is not going to be
accepted upstream, but is, I think, a reasonable distro-patch to retain
UMS support for radeon while defaulting to the upstream-default driver.

2) As always, we need more space on the CDs.  The DRI drivers are both
large (~44MB) and contain substantial quantities of common code.  Fedora
at one point linked their DRI drivers with a shared libdricore¹, and I'm
looking at doing something similar for the gallium drivers.  This shaves
about 30MB off the DRI drivers on AMD64 - down to 12MB, without touching
the gallium drivers.

Are either of these interesting to debian-x?  Should I be committing
these changes to the debian branches, or keeping them Ubuntu-specific?

Also,
3) We'll possibly strip out all the less-used (ie: non-intel,
non-radeon) DRI drivers into a separate package & add jockey hooks for
users to install them if needed.  That's not going to be so interesting
for Debian, though.

¹:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=mesa.git;a=blob;f=mesa-7.1-link-shared.patch;h=592e2e2163e8e06a1607dcaa5608024dab196745;hb=HEAD