Re: [Nbd] nbd-client and nbd-server through stdin/stdout

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 06:26:13PM +0200, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw a code-snippet in the nbd-server which would make it possible to
> connect nbd-server through stdin/stdout. But I did not see similar in
> nbd-client.

Correct, since that wouldn't work; nbd-client needs to hand a socket to
the kernel through an ioctl. For stdin/stdout to work, it would need to
do too much in userspace. This wouldn't be at all efficient.

> I would like to let nbd-server and -client communicate through a connection
> established/authenticated via another process, and then duplicate the
> filedescriptors an exec.
>
> Or are there any other possibilities to achieve authentication - despite from
> host-based with the ip-adresses in authfile.

Not at this point, though an authentication architecture would be nice.
Patches are welcome :-)

--
Fun will now commence