Chapter 15. Users & Groups: mininal UID for normal Users

Chapter 15. Users & Groups is not decided on the minimal value for UIDs/GIDs:

	All normal users and normal user groups will
	be above the uid/gid of 100. No system required
	uid or gid is to be placed above uid/gid 99 as
	this may clash with real users imported via
	NIS or LDAP from other Unix systems. (FIXME:
	What about Red Hat's use of 500 for this? Do
	other Linux distributions all use 100? Is there
	another standard we can reference which contains
	the 100 rule?)

Checking some Linuxes I realized that more Distributions avoid UID´s <500
for normal users. This is good becauset some time in the future 99 system
users could be not enough.

	I think, we should recommend or even require the UID range
	of 101 to 499 to reserved for future assignment by the
	Linux Standard Base.

------------------------------
Here are some observed values: (Please add yours for Systems not listed yet)

Caldera LTP:
1st user:grp = 500:100

Suse 7.0:
1st user:grp = 500:100

RedHat 7:
1st user:grp = 500:500

EasyLinux 2.2:
1st user:grp = 1000:100
--
    /  ___/__/  /                 Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH