Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 02:26:09AM -0700, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Johannes Poehlmann writes:
>
> > There are configurations, where it is not desirable to have these
> > mount points located in the root directory. When using the auto
> > mounter, the root directory can be "taken over" and be blocked. This
> > makes it desirable to put the mount points into a subdirectory.
>
> This is good for the rationale section.  Are there any other reasons?

IMHO it's a good rationale for not having such mount points in the root
directory, but it's not a good rationale for specifying exactly where
those mount points should go and what they should be named.  I still
think this should be a local issue.

Furthermore, section 3 of the FHS already states "Software should never
create or require special files or subdirectories in the root directory.
Other locations in the FHS hierarchy provide more than enough
flexibility for any package."  So if a distribution's automounter placed
mount points in the root directory then it would already be in violation
of the FHS, right?

	brian (I'm not on fhs-discuss, so please CC me if you don't
	      include lsb-spec, which I am on)