Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS

> Note that both SuSE and Tru64 use /sbin/init.d, as well...

Red Hat is etc/rc.d/init.d   (misreading the spec slightly)
Debian I believe is /etc/init.d

> Are they perchance Redhat-specific, or specific to Redhat derivatives,
> despite their titles?  Just curious, since I haven't examined the most
> recent crop of books.

Random selection. I think its fair to assume they would be biased in the
direction of perceived market volume.

> > Mounts should be by _volume_name_ or handy label not by device.
>
> Hmmm, do we then have /mnt/null for unnamed/unlabeled media?
> Fall back on the device type and/or name?  Or what?

"or handy label".

> > Another common location for remote mounts is /export/machinename/...
>
> This is especially true of large, multi-user systems with lots
> of NFS activity and/or a running automounter.  Or
> /wherever/share/mnt/machinename, or however a company's sysadmins have
> decided to set it up.  But as you mention, this is a remote-mount
> issue.  Shouldn't that be handled differently than local mounts?

Why is that a consideration. On a SAN its not always clear what is local
or remote and that can depend on 'configuration of the week' or even be
changed by high level I/O balancing tools 8)

I raised exports as a question if we should allow it too

Alan