Re: Extending InRelease/Release.gpg with Sigstore/Sigsum signatures

Good idea, done: https://bugs.debian.org/1061555

>> While this information can be distributed separately from these files,
>> it doesn't hurt to think about how in-band signatures could work.
>>
>> After the PGP signature in InRelease and Release.gpg, you could include
>> additional sections.  For Sigstore cosign:
>> The parser needs to understand each format, and pass it to the
>> respectively verifier somehow, and it has to ignore unknown data.
>
> I also think / would have thought :) collecting checksums of Debian packages
> should sensible be possible without changing Debian workflows?!?

Definitely, and to me that seems like the most feasible approach to
support already released apt-based distributions.  This external work
can lead to improved confidence of the tools involved.  If there is
interest in native support for this functionality, that is also
possible.

/Simon