Re: APT Roadmap

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 06:08:46PM -0400, Pardis Pashakhanloo wrote:
> I am curious about the long-term roadmap of APT package manager. Is this
> information available online?

There is no "that is the plan for the next decade" list (apart from
packaging world domination this time around of course).

Given the enormous amount of active team members (currently, depending
on how you count, two) we all probably have our own ideas of what we
will do, but usually more in the range of "the next thing I will do"
which is crosschecked on IRC (#debian-apt), this mailinglist and via
merge requests on salsa in a more ad hoc way. No committee, benevolent
dictator [for life] or management involved with detailed plans or goals.

The recently added initial support for aptitude-like patterns is e.g.
something which was on the list for a while. But that list neither
exists anywhere in written form, nor is it fixed or has any kinds of
dates or promises attached.

So if you have a specific idea (or many), feel free to talk about them
with us in any of the previously mentioned places!

Best regards

David Kalnischkies