Re: [systemd-devel] Ordering (apt) timer services to not run at the same time

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:59:57AM -0500, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> It seems to me that this could be easily around by adding
> Wants=apt-daily.service to the upgrade unit. That will guarantee that
> systemd puts the update job in the queue before the upgrade job. I think
> this is what you want, anyways. You want to make sure that you have the
> latest lists before starting the upgrade. If you get the timers lined up,
> then maybe you won't even get any additional update jobs run.

No, we definitely do not want that. We are trying to split the jobs
up so the mirror load caused by update can be spread over the entire
day instead of occuring in a predictable interval. Otherwise the
(Ubuntu) mirrors overload and upgrades timeout (and running the
upgrades at a very random time causes very random system failures
if something goes wrong ;/).

--
Debian Developer - deb.li/jak | jak-linux.org - free software dev
                  |  Ubuntu Core Developer |