Question of if a contribution like this would be entertained?

Hi Guys,

I normally use apt on Ubuntu Mate 16.04, anyway to the point. It bugs
me a little when I to a dist-upgrade, that the get stage must complete
before any real upgrade work is done (I haven't looked at the code
yet, this is from a user perspective).

Would a contribution be entertained that enabled some packages to
start installing while the packages are still being downloaded? It
bugs me when I am waiting for a large package to download (say firefox
or a bigger package), whilst in the meantime all the other packages
could have been unpackages/installed/whatever.

Would the preference of the project be towards forking a new process
or multi-threading if I was to start working on this?

Unless there is some configuration or experimental feature that
enables this that I am unaware of. If there is and you guys could let
me know, that would be great!