internal error avoids installation

Hi !

[Replies please to schwardt@tzi.de]

I'm currently unable to install any debian package because of an internal
error of apt.
At the moment woody is installed on my box (3 Month old). Today I tried to
update to sid. Within the /etc/apt/sources.list potato, woody and sid are
registered. The current version of apt is 0.3.19 for i386 compiled on
May 12 2000 21:17:27.
If I try to run apt-get upgrade it gets all necessary files and then exits
with an internal error. All dependencies are ok. I did an update and so the
package list is uptodate.
---
ROOT@karl:~# apt-get check
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done

ROOT@karl:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  a2ps abiword adduser alien apache apache-common apt base-config blt-dev
console-apt
  debconf debhelper dnsutils ethereal expat ftp-upload fttools gabber
gnome-applets
  gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-gv gnome-help-data gnome-panel
gnome-panel-data
  gnome-session gnome-terminal gs gtksql gtm libdigest-md5-perl libft-perl
libgd-perl
  libgnomeprint-bin libgnomeprint-data libgnomeprint11 libgtk-perl
  liblocale-gettext-perl libmng-dev libnss-db libpam-modules libpaperg
libqt2.2
  libsdl1.1 libsmpeg0 libterm-slang-perl libtimedate-perl libwww-perl licq
  licq-plugin-qt2 lilo netpbm nhfsstone oms oms-omi openssl perl-5.005
perl-5.005-base
  perl-5.6 perl-5.6-base perl-5.6-doc perl-5.6-suid perl-base perlmagick
php4 quicklist
  rpm samba samba-common smbclient smbfs ssh tetex-bin xcdroast xchat-gnome
336 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 75 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/140MB of archives. After unpacking 23.2MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration
ROOT@karl:~#
---
Any Ideas how to persuade apt to upgrade my system ?

Sönke Schwardt