intel driver takes too much memory as VideoRam (128MB of 256 MB).

I have a compaq evo D510 USDT computer with 256 MB of RAM. This computer includes an
Intel graphics chip that does not have its own VideoRam but uses part of the 256MB main RAM.

lspci output includes 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation
82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

The BIOS appears to allocate 8 MB of RAM as VideoRam as dmesg output includes
247MB LOWMEM available.
Linux agpgart interface v0.103
agpgart: Detected an Intel 830M Chipset.
agpgart: Detected 8060K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xf0000000

However when the X-Server is started, it appears to use 128 MB as VideoRam.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log contents include
X.Org X Server 1.4.0.90
Build Operating System: Linux Debian (xorg-server 2:1.4.1~git20080517-2~lenny1)
Current Operating System: Linux compaq 2.6.25-2-686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 18 17:46:56 UTC 2008 i686
(II) LoadModule: "intel"
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:02:0
(--) Chipset 845G found
(**) intel(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(II) intel(0): Output VGA using initial mode 1152x864
(II) intel(0): detected 128 kB GTT.
(II) intel(0): detected 8060 kB stolen memory.
(II) intel(0): I830CheckAvailableMemory: 200700 kB available
(==) intel(0): VideoRam: 131072 KB

Whilst running X-Windows there is  insufficient memory available to run programs,
the computer continually swaps so runs very slowly. /proc/meminfo indicates the
active memory is under 128 MB.

How do I reduce the amount of memory taken as VideoRam by the intel driver ?
(The intel man page includes the statement "The VideoRam option, which in the
past had been necessary to  allow  more  than some small amount of
memory to be allocated, is now ignored").

Given that 1152x864x32 bpp = 4MB is used by the visual display and I'll want some
VideoRam for holding display objects, what is a reasonable amount of RAM to
use as VideoRam ?

Your PC, mobile phone, and online services work together like never before.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108587394/direct/01/