bug: artwiz-cursor breaks vnc server

I think I found the bug that borked the (tight)VNC server in my debian sarge.

it seems that the "fonts.dir" file in my "misc" font directory has an entry
that looks like this:

-------------------------------------
cursor.pcf.gz-artwiz cursor
-------------------------------------

that's because the "artwiz-cursor" package has a file named
"cursor.pcf.gz-artwiz", and mkfontdir generates the line above.

Obviously Xvnc and Xtightvnc don't like the above line and they skip the
"misc" directory, simply dismissing it, with no warning message (if there is
a way to have more verbose error messaging I didn't find it, even if I
admittedly did not try hard).

This causes the server to quit, since the "fixed" font is missing:

bambino:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc# Xvnc :1

Xvnc version 4.0 - built Jan 22 2005 17:23:07
Underlying X server release 40200000, The XFree86 Project, Inc

Fri Sep  2 16:29:19 2005
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
  vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
   vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
   Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing
from list!
   Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from list!

   Fatal server error:
   could not open default font 'fixed'

I wrote to the package maintainers since I believe this is a packaging bug (if
you rename the font file to "cursor.pcf.gz" everything is OK), but I also
believe something must be wrong in the way the X servers (if it's them) parse
the fonts.dir file. The original line does not look like it is malformed, and
even if it was, why skip the whole font dir, without a sound (almost: only
vncserver v4 prints the warning above)?

I think that you may be in a better position to file relevant bug reports.  Of
course I am at your disposal if you need further information.

--
Luca "andrew" Andreucci
ict security :: http://lucaandreucci.it :: mailto:info@lucaandreucci.it