Re: Removed pages under /releases/

I'm top-posting since the message has become very long:

1) Removing translations (in general) without discussion is very
demotivating. It makes you think why bother translating debian.org at
all. You can always use the integrated translator in your browser.
(Maybe we should stop doing this and rather link to the preferred
translation service, but that is a different discussion.)

2) Removing translations, but keeping the English content is even more
demotivating. In this particular case, I don't mind removing the
release notes, but I think the release information should have be
preserved - for example in Norwegian:
https://web.archive.org/web/20230404193832/https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/index.nb.html
This is something we could have discussed.

3) Regarding search: I don't see how the search improves very much by
removing old translated pages. If someone searches for "Debian Release
information", they don't get any hits for translated pages - for
example "Debian utgivelsesinformasjon".

Finally, I think translators focus on the main content without someone
removing old stuff :-)

I'm not angry or upset, and I don't need to discuss my points above -
it's just my opinion.

And, Thomas, I do appreciate the work you do to clean up the scripts
and the website.

Regards, Hans - who does a lousy job translating debian.org to Norwegian

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 09:45:46 +0100,
> Thomas Lange<lange@cs.uni-koeln.de> wrote:
>
> (First, no need to CC me, I read the list) -
>
> >Hi Andreas,
> >
> >another reason that I forgot was that we had too many versions of the
> >installmanual and the release notes. For many old releases we've kept
> >them in 14 languages for every architecture (around 10) for each old release.
> >E.g.:
> >https://web.archive.org/web/20230625201750/https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/releasenotes
> >https://web.archive.org/web/20230625201754/https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/installmanual
[cut]