Re: Thank you for the welcome

On 02/26/2012 12:47 AM, kristen wrote:
Hi Kristen

>  On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 20:52 -0900, kristen wrote:

> I thought I might mention that today I fixed my graphics problem. Not
> that 'I' fixed it, I only found how to fix it.
>
> My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Mac Edition) and requires a
> kernel loaded firmware. It seems that such firmware is provided by a
> repository which is 'non-free'. It also appears that my default Debian
> install does not include such a repository. After hours of reading web
> pages via a search I found where Debian keeps it's repository info and I
> was able to add this repository in. After using this thing called
> 'aptitude' I was able to install the firmware. A reboot later as a new
> kernel was installed all appears well.

You might want to read the social contract [1] (and the Debian Free
Software Guidelines) to learn about why that is not in the default
Debian install and resides in non-free. Note that you can also find
non-official images that do include the non-free firmware [2].

> I guess I have much to learn about Debian. Especially your package
> management system. And whatever aptitude is (a package manager I know).

There are a couple of choices for the package manager. synaptic is the
one with a graphical interface. aptitude and apt-get are comparable to
yum, but for Debian packages. dpkg is in the same way comparable to rpm.
aptitude is usually preferred to apt-get as for most things it's more
intuitive.

> I think this is going to be a long road for me.. *sigh*

We are here to show you the short cuts and make it a fun and rewarding
journey :-)

Cheers

Luk

[1] http://www.debian.org/social_contract