Re: problems with KDE/KMail

Hi Lisi (and hi list)

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 07:31:32AM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> current set-up:
> Debian Lenny
> KDE 3.5.10
> KMail 1.9.9
>
> KMail has been broken (i.e. unusable) since the upgrade to 3.5.10 from 3.5.9.
> I have been waiting patiently for an upgrade to fix this, but in spite of two
> occasions when a large number of KDE updates were applied, the situation has
> if anything deteriorated.

When you have problems with KDE, there is a user mailing list in Debian:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/

> When Lenny updated OOo to 2.4.1 OOo was broken for about a fortnight.  So
> should I just sit tight?

No, when you think there is a problem, you should ask in the relevant mailing
list. Some of this problems are sometimes related to the package being
uploaded only to one arch, and you have to wait it to be build in the
remaining.

You do not have KDE 3.5.10, you have some packages of kde 3.5.10 like the core
libraries, and some packages between KDE 3.5.9 and 3.5.10. Pckages in this
state are still labeled as 3.5.9, so the revision number (what is after the -,
matters).

> I have attempted to purge and install KMail with the following result (0), but
> have so far refused the offer of so extreme a solution as that proposed by
> aptitude.  Particularly as, if the break is at present in Lenny rather than
> localised here, I would simply get back where I am until the problem is
> fixed.
>
> What does the list advise that I should do?  Sit tight or accept aptitude's
> suggestion - then reinstall KDE?
>
> TIA
> Lisi
>
> (0)
> localhost:/home/user# aptitude purge KMail && aptitude install kmail
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> The following packages are BROKEN:
>   kdepim kmailcvt
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kmail{p}
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 8270kB will be freed.
>   kdepim: Depends: kmail (>= 4:3.5.9-5) but it is not installable
>   kmailcvt: Depends: kmail (>= 4:3.5.9-5) but it is not installable
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> kde
> kdepim
> kmailcvt
>
> Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
> kontact recommends kmail
> Score is -663
>
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] q
> Abandoning all efforts to resolve these dependencies.

if kde or kdepim are removed, that does not mean you are uninstalling kdepim
or kde, they are just metapackages, that ease the installation, they are empty
and they are merely used to install the kde package modules easier.
What do you get when you do aptitude dist-upgrade or aptitude install kdepim:?
Research that and continue this thread in the debian-kde mailing list.

Btw, it is pretty unlikely you will have further updates of KDE 3 in Lenny
unless it is for fixing critical bugs. It will have some packages labelled as
3.5.9 and 3.5.10, and it is fine this way.

Ana