Re: [PHP] Standard placement of PHP libraries?

On Tuesday 02 of August 2005 21:20, Jose Carlos do Nascimento wrote:
> 1-
> I need to install one pear package that havent a deb package,  example
> "cache".
> But cache depends of  "Archive_Tar"  that was installed by deb package (
> and is invisible by pear list)
> I will receive an error message of dependence.

No, if you install by `pear install --alldeps'. Then the Archive_Tar will
install too, but into /usr/local/php hierarchy and won't
override /usr/share/php/$VERSION files.

> 2-
> hum,  we can have problem  if one lib have 2 versions,  one to php4 and
> second  to php5.
> example :   adodb    for php4  and adodb for php5.
>
> how we solve these problems ?

It is the problem of PEAR packaging system, not the Debian packaging system.
The Debian package can be installed into /usr/share/php4 for PHP4
and /usr/share/php5 for PHP5. The PEAR itself just supports only one
directory, so you have to choose which one you want to install.

> are you writing current php pear policy ?

No. I would love to see such policy because I'm maintaining some packages for
my local systems. As far as there is no policy, I won't release them to the
distro.

For the hosting systems there is very important to have a different version of
PHP installed. I can't force my users to upgrade theirs scripts! The current
policy (in fact there is no policy) doesn't alllow me to install different
PEAR libraries.

--
 .''`.    Piotr Roszatycki, Netia SA
: :' :    mailto:Piotr_Roszatycki@netia.net.pl