Re: Reaffirm public voting

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 04:24:46PM +0100, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 04/03/2022 à 11:42, Holger Levsen a écrit :
> > The GR proposal for secret voting is silent on implenentation details,
> > probably because secret and transparent voting is, well, impossible to
> > achieve fully, [...]
>
> It is possible to achieve some reasonable level of secrecy and
> transparency (and verifiability)... it is an active research topic per
> se. Belenios came out of this research, devotee-ng could also benefit
> from this research.
>
> Disclaimer: I am upstream of Belenios in my dayjob.

I have voted several time using Belenios. This is probably the most
advanced free software voting solution. This has been useful to lots
of organisation during the lockdown.

However I feel this GR is putting the cart before the horses.
Before voting for or against a new voting system, we need to experiment
with them and see how they can be made to fit Debian. The secrecy used
for DPL elections is too weak if the purpose is to protect against
contentious GR.

That is why my own ballot proposal just say to keep the vote as is for
the time being and to discourage non-technical contentious GR.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.