Re: Willingness to share a position statement?

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 6:59 PM Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 06:15:27PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Exactly -- if this is an open vote, I'm afraid that would merely force a
> (possibly) large number of Debian members to not vote at all. Honestly, in that
> light I haven't made up my mind yet either what to do..

It also means that those who do not vote are by implication considered
to be in opposition.

Not at all. In every Debian GR there's a lot of people that don't vote. Maybe they didn't care, maybe they were busy with other stuff in their lives, maybe they just forgot to vote. Not voting doesn't mean you are in opposition.

Essentially, voting in this GR is implicitly
compulsory and there is only one correct way to vote.

Also not true. The GR is to vote whether Debian issues a statement about this or not. If you think Debian shouldn't issue a statement about this, that's a totally valid opinion. The point of the GR is to gauge whether the majority of DDs think that the project should or should not issue a statement.  We won't know until the voting is over whether that's the case.

Why not dispense with the vote and simply have the DPL sign for the
project?  Then at least those who are not in agreement will not feel
directly targeted, though they may disagree with the outcome.

There's many reasons why someone might decide to be against such a statement, and I don't expect people to be "targeted" because of that, anymore that they could be targeted because they voted one way or the other in any of the past GRs.

--
Besos,
Marga