Re: Q to all candidates: dropping SC §5

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 12:04:16PM +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> The consequence of doing so might be the creation of some
> debian-nonfree.com which will deliver today's non-free content, with
> possibly more non-free software. This will make the situation even
> worse.  Does this remind you of some story? Yes, debian-multimedia and
> we've seen the bad consequences of such initiatives.

No comment intended in this mail about your main points about whether it
would be a good thing or not to separate non-free (or parts of it) from
the main archive. But a couple of comments on the above paragraph:

- we have non-free.org already (I've registered it myself, and intend to
  keep it warm for potential Debian use). So if anyone is interested in
  that, please do not go for yet another domain, but come and talk to me
  about non-free.org :-)

- I don't think the analogy with debian-multimedia is pertinent. At all.
  The problem with debian-multimedia.org was that the agenda of the
  people behind that 3rd party repository was completely unaligned (if
  not even conflicting, at times) with the agenda of the corresponding
  Debian team under debian.org. Things would be completely different if
  people behind debian.org and (hypothetically) non-free.org were to
  work in concert, with an agreement of what belongs there.

  So please do not conflate the existence of a separate, 3rd party repo
  under a different domain name, with what happened between the
  maintainers of that repo and debian. There might be correlation there,
  but I so no evidence that there is causation.

Again, no comment intended on your general stance on this matter. Just
minor nitpicking :-)

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .