Re: Onboard not showing up in the XFCE system tray | Partial Solution

On Thu, 16 May 2024 14:09:33 -0600
Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:

> Onboard is not showing up in the XFCE system tray. Bookworm as
> updated. I don't see any Debian bug reports or questions on the home
> page. I believe I am not running Wayland.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Fix/Workaround?

Got a bit further. While knurdling around after replying to Geert
Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>, I did the following:

charles@tsalmoth:~$ ps aux | grep onbo
charles     2913  0.0  0.9 545852 36740 ?        Sl   May12   0:26 /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/onboard --not-show-in=GNOME,GNOME-Classic:GNOME --startup-delay=3.0
charles    44066  0.0  0.0   6332  2048 pts/8    S+   18:58   0:00 grep --colour=auto onbo
charles@tsalmoth:~$

I couldn't find that in any of the terminal windows I started onboard
from in previous experiments. The low process ID and date suggest that
that was the instance started at login. (Also, the command line shown
is the same one in the Sessions and Startup applet's Application
Autostart tab.) So I killed it.

charles@tsalmoth:~$ kill 2913
charles@tsalmoth:~$ ps aux | grep onbo
charles    44071  0.0  0.0   6332  2048 pts/8    S+   18:58   0:00 grep --colour=auto onbo
charles@tsalmoth:~$

I then fired it up from a terminal, and got both the keyboard and
notification tray icon. The "Hide Onboard" key (upper right corner
on the compact layout) now works to hide the keyboard, with the icon
remaining.

I conjecture that the original instance, having failed to get its icon
into the tray, also prevented later instances from doing so.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/