Re: Markup in mail messages

On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 03:25:49PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Actually I've been tempted to teach my mail reader to transform HTML
> >> into some lightweight markup (yeah, you need a bit of heuristics for
> >> that ;-) -- say Org, but why not its poor sister Markdown.
> > Please don't settle for markdown. I would love a org filter!
> > org-mode just handles tabular data admirably :)
>
> Just beware that Org's code is generally written under the implicit
> assumption that the Org document is trusted, so if you try to reuse
> parts of Org's code to do the rendering be extra mindful of the
> potential for security holes.
> [ This applies to many other ELisp packages, of course; it's not
>   exclusive to Org.  ]

Very true,
but most content is unsafe like office (MS and open), PDF any other than
PDF-A. And HTML which can include JS.
org-mode can execute also other code than lisp, like python, JS, Lua

A filter though could be limited to only create safe org markup.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com