Re: How to run automatically a script as soon root login

On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 06:06:37PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> Am Montag, 13. Mai 2024, 13:24:17 CEST schrieb Greg Wooledge:
> > On Mon, May 13, 2024 at 07:36:07AM +0200, Richard wrote:
> > > .profile
>
> Sorry, dumb question: Depending of the shell, the user is using (let's say, he
> will use bash), can the script not be added into ~/.bashrc?

The context has been snipped out.  The context for this was "OP is trying
to run a command when root logs in".  The method of login was not stated.
First responder said ".profile works for every method of login".  I said
that this is incorrect: it doesn't work for many GUI login setups.

In those same GUI login setups, .bashrc is *also* not read when the
user logs in.  None of the shell startup files are read at all.

All of this is a tangent to the actual problem, though.

> If yes, second dumb question: Coiuld it be ANY script or command?
> (also running as non-rootuser, like adding "runuser -u myuser
> command_whatever").

We're several layers deep into an X-Y problem here.  The *actual* problem
is that the system's networking configuration is not correct/complete.

The *workaround* is that the OP is logging in and running commands to
change the networking configuration temporarily.

The question resulting from the workaround (the Y in the X-Y) was "How
can I automate these commands that I keep having to type?"

The proper question should have been "How can I fix my system's networking
configuration permanently?"