Re: Kvm Bridge Network Problem, VM accessing the host

On Sat, May 04, 2024 at 04:26:07PM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I am running Bookworm on my main platform. After quite a bit of googling and
> many errors and much head scratching I have managed to follow the
> instructions in:
>
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-add-network-bridge-with-nmcli-networkmanager-on-linux/
> .
>
> I have currently implicated this on a Windows 10 client. However, there
> still remains a problem. After the first restart of the Windows client the
> internet was accessible. However, a problem arose after I successfully
> installed br0 (copy attached). I was able to use the LAN printer and the 40"
> TV , but could not access the Host.

Ah, the VM guest can not access the host.
(I changed 'Subject: Re: Kvm Bridge Network Problem'
into 'Subject: Re: Kvm Bridge Network Problem, VM accessing the host')

> I'm sure that I have missed something, but I don't know what.

Network switches only forward packets.

> Guidance to a solution to the problem would be appreciated.

I have been where O.P. is, the challenge^Wproblem is real.

> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # Specify that the physical interface that should be connected to the bridge
> # should be configured manually, to avoid conflicts with NetworkManager
> iface enp2s0 inet manual
>
> #Primary network interface with bridge
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet static
>     address 162.237.98.238
>     broadcast 162.237.98.255
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 162.237.98.1
>     bridge_ports enp2s0
>     bridge_stp off
>     bridge_waitport 0
>     bridge fd 0

That brigde configuration looks good, even might be good.

The thing is that host and VM are at the same interface of the network
switch. And network switches only forward packets. It is a "physical
law" in computer networking. Hopefully brings this email thread
the jargon name of the "problem".

If direct connection between host and the VM guest is important,
then add such connection and take the costs it brings.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Silence is hard to parse