Re: LibreOffice removed from Debian

On 18 Apr 2024 09:55 +0200, from erwan@rail.eu.org (Erwan David):
>> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libreoffice
>
> What scares me is seeing part of 18 ongoing transition, and 4 "coming soon
> transitions" with "please do not upload if it is not related to the
> transition".

Why does that scare you?

Those entries are related to testing; that is, it seems to me, Trixie.

We're over a year away from a likely release of Trixie, or
correspondingly half way in between the Bookworm and Trixie releases.
(Note: I have no special knowledge of the release cycle planning for
Trixie. This is based on historical evidence and an assumption that
something approximating the release cycle for the last several
releases will apply also to Trixie, which would put a Trixie release
in mid-2025.)

Large-scale changes in Testing and Unstable _especially_ at this point
in the release cycle are to be expected. Sometimes those changes will
by necessity block other changes until everything is sorted out in
terms of versions, dependencies and packaging.

If you want stability, run Stable (and maybe Backports). If you're
running Testing or Unstable (let alone with Experimental on top of
that), then you should _expect_ there to be occasional breakage or
large-scale changes that can block upgrades until it is all sorted
out by the package maintainers, and which may sometimes require local
intervention as well.

To be fair, this did apparently cause some side effects of bugs being
closed incorrectly; but my understanding from the sidelines of this
thread is that that was corrected quickly once brought to attention.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”