Re: Debian ISOs on USB stick, was: SOLVED

On 4/3/24 00:30, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

David Christensen wrote:
It's a relatively simple experiment to confirm that a USB flash drive with
d-i changes after the first boot.

This could still be
where Lenovo BIOS and/or MS-Windows altered the USB stick.

Same for finding which bytes change.

I fail to find this particular info in
   Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 14:46:42 -0700
   From: David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>

If we have the exact ISO name (i.e. URL from where it stems) and the
byte address of the alteration, xorriso can find the affected file, if
any.

In case of bug #1056998 it was the EFI partition image /boot/grub/efi.img.
Mounting the altered and unaltered image files showed changes in the
FAT filesystem which point to the culprits Lenovo and Microsoft.

The other plausible way of altering the ISO image on the stick would be
adding a new partition.
The MBR partition table is part of the Debian ISO and thus part of the
checksummed area. Even if all other alterations happen after the end
of the checksummed ISO image, the changed partition table will cause the
Debian checksum to become invalid.

(I am not aware that Debian installer changes the table. If it does indeed
then this might be worth a new bug discussion.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

2024-04-03 03:29:18 root@laalaa /samba/dpchrist/iso/debian/11.3.0
# cmp --verbose debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso /dev/sdb
  2083201   0 377
  2083202   0 377
  2083203   0 377
  2085249   0 377
  2085250   0 377
  2085251   0 377
  2085409   0 102
  2085410   0  40
  2085412   0 111
  2085414   0 156
  2085416   0 146
  2085418   0 157
  2085420   0  17
  2085422   0 162
  2085423   0 162
  2085425   0 155
  2085427   0 141
  2085429   0 164
  2085431   0 151
  2085433   0 157
  2085437   0 156
  2085441   0   1
  2085442   0 123
  2085444   0 171
  2085446   0 163
  2085448   0 164
  2085450   0 145
  2085452   0  17
  2085454   0 162
  2085455   0 155
  2085457   0  40
  2085459   0 126
  2085461   0 157
  2085463   0 154
  2085465   0 165
  2085469   0 155
  2085471   0 145
  2085473   0 123
  2085474   0 131
  2085475   0 123
  2085476   0 124
  2085477   0 105
  2085478   0 115
  2085479   0 176
  2085480   0  61
  2085481   0  40
  2085482   0  40
  2085483   0  40
  2085484   0  26
  2085486   0 167
  2085487   0 174
  2085488   0 277
  2085489   0 235
  2085490   0 124
  2085491   0 235
  2085492   0 124
  2085495   0 175
  2085496   0 277
  2085497   0 235
  2085498   0 124
  2085500   0   5
  4719105   0  56
  4719106   0  40
  4719107   0  40
  4719108   0  40
  4719109   0  40
  4719110   0  40
  4719111   0  40
  4719112   0  40
  4719113   0  40
  4719114   0  40
  4719115   0  40
  4719116   0  20
  4719118   0 167
  4719119   0 174
  4719120   0 277
  4719121   0 235
  4719122   0 124
  4719123   0 235
  4719124   0 124
  4719127   0 175
  4719128   0 277
  4719129   0 235
  4719130   0 124
  4719132   0   5
  4719137   0  56
  4719138   0  56
  4719139   0  40
  4719140   0  40
  4719141   0  40
  4719142   0  40
  4719143   0  40
  4719144   0  40
  4719145   0  40
  4719146   0  40
  4719147   0  40
  4719148   0  20
  4719150   0 167
  4719151   0 174
  4719152   0 277
  4719153   0 235
  4719154   0 124
  4719155   0 235
  4719156   0 124
  4719159   0 175
  4719160   0 277
  4719161   0 235
  4719162   0 124
  4719169   0 102
  4719170   0 107
  4719172   0 165
  4719174   0 151
  4719176   0 144
  4719180   0  17
  4719182   0 377
  4719183   0 377
  4719184   0 377
  4719185   0 377
  4719186   0 377
  4719187   0 377
  4719188   0 377
  4719189   0 377
  4719190   0 377
  4719191   0 377
  4719192   0 377
  4719193   0 377
  4719194   0 377
  4719197   0 377
  4719198   0 377
  4719199   0 377
  4719200   0 377
  4719201   0   1
  4719202   0 111
  4719204   0 156
  4719206   0 144
  4719208   0 145
  4719210   0 170
  4719212   0  17
  4719214   0 377
  4719215   0 145
  4719217   0 162
  4719219   0 126
  4719221   0 157
  4719223   0 154
  4719225   0 165
  4719229   0 155
  4719231   0 145
  4719233   0 111
  4719234   0 116
  4719235   0 104
  4719236   0 105
  4719237   0 130
  4719238   0 105
  4719239   0 176
  4719240   0  61
  4719241   0  40
  4719242   0  40
  4719243   0  40
  4719244   0  40
  4719246   0 171
  4719247   0 174
  4719248   0 277
  4719249   0 235
  4719250   0 124
  4719251   0 235
  4719252   0 124
  4719255   0 175
  4719256   0 277
  4719257   0 235
  4719258   0 124
  4719259   0   1
  4719260   0   5
  4719261   0 114
  4721153   0 173
  4721155   0  71
  4721157   0 101
  4721159   0  65
  4721161   0 104
  4721163   0 101
  4721165   0 106
  4721167   0  65
  4721169   0  67
  4721171   0  55
  4721173   0  71
  4721175   0 102
  4721177   0  63
  4721179   0  61
  4721181   0  55
  4721183   0  64
  4721185   0  71
  4721187   0  62
  4721189   0 105
  4721191   0  55
  4721193   0 102
  4721195   0  66
  4721197   0 105
  4721199   0  62
  4721201   0  55
  4721203   0  71
  4721205   0 106
  4721207   0  63
  4721209   0  61
  4721211   0  70
  4721213   0 105
  4721215   0  64
  4721217   0  61
  4721219   0  66
  4721221   0 105
  4721223   0  63
  4721225   0  71
  4721227   0 175
cmp: EOF on debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso after byte 396361728

2024-04-03 03:31:50 root@laalaa /samba/dpchrist/iso/debian/11.3.0
#

David