Re: Q: Gnome network odd

On 05/02/2024 12:08, Byunghee HWANG (황병희) wrote:
On Sun, 2024-02-04 at 13:41 -0600, David Wright wrote:
So it would appear that your question is exactly as in the reference
you quoted, that ifupdown was configuring wlp4s0 when /w/n/i was
in place, resulting in NM displaying a question mark.

Thank you for confirming that this is not a bug.

I have no idea concerning GNOME in sid, but a KDE applet from nm-plasma in bookworm is able to react to commands

    ip link set enp0s2 down
    ip link set enp0s2 up

in a VM when the only interface (besides lo) is managed by ifupdown. When the interface is down, the icon changed to a dimmed one with a red "x".

I have not figured out how to determine state using nmcli or through various objects reported by

    busctl tree org.freedesktop.NetworkManager

E.g. nm-online always reports success. It might be some fallback in the KDE applet. Depending on that it is either a bug or not in the GNOME applet.

P.S.

nmcli dev
DEVICE  TYPE      STATE                   CONNECTION
lo      loopback  connected (externally)  lo
enp0s2  ethernet  unmanaged               --

nmcli con
NAME  UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE
lo    18c86315-d7f9-417e-ab2c-c131803b4c0b  loopback  lo

nm-online ; echo $?
Connecting...............   30s [online]
0