Re: shred bug? [was: Unidentified subject!]

On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 06:54:58PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Let me write out the example again, but with the bug fixed, and then
> > explain what each line does, [... lecture about advanced shell
> > programming ...]
>
> And this all because Gene Heskett was adventurous enough to buy a cheap
> fake USB disk. :))

Heh.  Don't forget your own attempts to use a shredder as a PRNG stream.

Shell redirections can be complicated, so this topic is going to
come up once in a while.  The example in the shred info page is fairly
unintuitive, so it deserves a bit of explanation.  I imagine most readers
who saw it simply accepted it as written, which is why the bug went
undiscovered for two decades.