Re: Home UPS recommendations

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:45:29 +0100
hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:

> The cheap APC models seem to produce a lot more heat, and their
> batteries don't seem to last as long.  They work and they're not
> really a good deal.  I don't have test equipment for UPCs, but you can
> feel how warm they get and see how cheaply they're built without
> special equipment.

It's quite surprising how many complaints about swollen UPS batteries
there are around the Net. Given the fairly light duties of the batteries
almost all of the time, this is pretty well certain to be caused by
overheating due to incompetent charging. Batteries, particularly
lead-acid types, are not exactly new technology, and the correct
charging of them is well understood.

--
Joe