Re: Many systemd units do not start anymore

Christoph Pleger <Christoph.Pleger@cs.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on one of my server machines, suddenly many systemd units (e.g. cron,
> autofs) do not start any more, neither at boot nor when trying to
> start manually with "systemctl start <unit>", this hangs till I abort
> with Ctrl-C - though the commands defined in ExecStart work when I
> type them in directly. From my judgement, I also believe that it
> takes unusually long till then command "systemctl status <unit>"
> returns a result.
>
> I already removed systemd completely (apt-get --purge --auto-remove
> remove *systemd*) und switched to SYS V Init, in which all services
> started successfully. But after switching back to systemd, I again
> had the problem of non-starting services.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what is possibly wrong?

As appears later in the thread, you seem to have missed out some pretty
basic information, including:

- what is the hardware?
- what release of what operating system is in use?
- what happened just before things 'suddenly' stopped working? Did you
  upgrade the machine, or install some new software, or just reboot it
  or what?
- you say it is just one of your server machines. Can you draw any
  comparisons with the state of your other server machines?