Re: Libreoffice hangs at start

On Thu 11 Jan 2024 at 16:41:36 (+0100), Hans wrote:
> I am running Debian/stable with Libreoffice 7.4.7.2. (ok, this is not the
> problem :)  )
>
> But: When I start Libreoffice, then the logo appears, the progress bar is
> showing about 25 percent, then hangs for about 1 Minute. After it libreoffice is
> going on further starting and is then running without any problems.
>
> I remeber, that the last time it had something to do with the network
> settings. Libreoffice is searchin for an IP, but could not find it, then running
> into a timeout (the 1 minute I mentioned above) and then after it, going on
> starting.
>
> Of course this is annoying.
>
> I remember, the fix was antering the IP of the computer it is running into a
> file below /etc. Dunno, if it is /etc/hosts or similar.
>
> The host has got a fixed IP address, here 192.168.2.101.

It sounds rather like a computer that doesn't know its hostname, or
its IP address. So can you elaborate on how you "fix" the address.

For example, my /etc/hosts file on ahost contains at a minimum:

  127.0.0.1	localhost
  127.0.1.1	ahost.corp	ahost	# 192.168.1.123
  ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
  ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
  ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

and the router's DHCP server issues 192.168.1.123 when asked by
a PC with ahost's MAC. (All other hosts' /etc/hosts files contain
  192.168.1.123	ahost.corp	ahost)

> Strange thing: If I login from the host into the host by using
>
> "ssh -X -l myusername 192.168.2.101"
>
> then soffice is starting at once and without any break.
>
> For searching the reoson of the break, I also tried to start soffice by using
> strace, but that gave me no clue.
>
> Reinstallation of Libreoffice and purging ~/.config/libreoffice* did not help.
>
> Maybe, the is also related to this: Sometimes, but not everytime, Libreoffice
> pops a window up, telling, "....it does not find a proxy network script..."
>
> I checked, there is no proxy set, neither in the operating system, nor in
> Libreoffice itself. If there is a choice of setting, all proxy settings are set
> ot "NONE" or "System". However, this proxy-thingi appears only sometimes and
> may not cause any harm., Just wanted to mention it.
>
> It would be nice, if one could give me some hints, where to look and what can
> I do, to check of this issue.
>
> I am very sure, it is a setting problem and NOT a bug.

Cheers,
David.