Re: SMART Uncorrectable_Error_Cnt rising - should I be worried?

On 1/10/24 01:35, Michael Kjörling wrote:
On 9 Jan 2024 14:34 -0800, from dpchrist@holgerdanske.com (David Christensen):
I don't know how to interpret the "Pre-fail" notation for the other
attributes.

AIUI "Pre-fail" indicates the drive is going to fail soon and should be
replaced.

Only if the attribute hits the "failure" threshold, whatever that
happens to be or mean for that particular attribute.

If you choose to run RAID member drives all the way to failure, then you need to have a reasonable expectation that the remaining drives have enough reliability and the RAID has enough redundancy to protect the data until the sysadmin notices the failed drive(s), the sysadmin replaces the failed drive(s), and the RAID resilvers.

Given the OP's situation -- 8 consumer SSD's, same make and model, possibly from a defective manufacturing batch, all purchased at the same time, all deployed in the same RAID-6, all run 2.5 years 24x7, and all suddenly showing lots of SMART warnings -- I would not have confidence in that RAID.

David