Re: dmesg reporting lots of errors apparently emanating from a Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller ...

On 1/6/24, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I may not even have an NVMe card in my computer as the manufacturer
> claims.

 My DELL Inspiron 5593 actually does have a M.2 512GB KIOXIA NVMe SSD,
which I need to use! The problem, as I described here without getting
a solution for it:

// __ I cannot change BIOS settings on my laptop?

 https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i-cannot-change-bios-settings-on-my-laptop.3833102/
~
 is that I can't access/change the BIOS settings on my own laptop to
make the hdd work in AHCI mode, I think. I have also read that Debian
Linux has problems operating such cards:

https://superuser.com/questions/1502756/debian-not-detecting-nvme-asus-zenbook-ux430ua

I purchased a Dell XPS 8930 with an NVMe dirve. Debian and Fedora did
not recognize the NVMe. I had to use Ubuntu 18.04 for the drive to be
recognized. I'm not sure what Ubuntu is doing that Debian is not, but
I suspect it has something to do with updates. Debian tends to stick
with old and broken software. They will not upgrade for users. – jww
Nov 23, 2019 at 4:28
~
 You may know how to deal with such problems, better than I do, since
I don't tend to mind the intricate technical details about computer
hardware, even though I understand well the physics in them.

 Every piece of computer hardware my paranoia uses seems to have a
mind of its own. I have decided to not use computers (do all the
writing by hand on paper), but the data processing and algorithmic
basis of my paper I have to do on a computer.

 Any suggestions?

 lbrtchx