Re: Replace Grub with rEFInd [WAS Possibly broken Grub or initrd after updates on Testing]

On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 08:23:29PM +0100, Richard Rosner wrote:
> So, since for whatever reason Grub seems to be broken beyond repair, I today
> tried to just replace it with rEFInd. Installation succeeded without any
> trouble. But when I start my system, rEFInd just asks me if I want to boot
> with fwupd or with the still very broken Grub. Am I missing something? Is
> rEFInd really just something to select between different OSs (and not just
> different distributions like Grub can very well do) and then gives the rest
> over to their bootloaders or am I missing something so rEFInd will take over
> all of Grubs jobs?

I boot my debian-based system with rEFInd.  Grub is not
present. A couple big icons show on the boot screen. The
small print at the bottom mentions hit F2 for more options.
On my system, F2 offers a selection among all kernels
present.

rEFInd installs into  EFI/refind/ in the EFI partition.
I originally encountered it looking for something to
boot debian on a Intel Mac. It's been trouble-free.

--
Joel Roth