Re: Boot Problem

On 5 Dec 2023 11:05 -0500, from s.molnar@sbcglobal.net (Stephen P. Molnar):
> I have Bookworm installed on a 1TB SSD. When I attempted logging this
> morning I failed! Rather than opening my XFCE desktop I was sent back tot he
> login screen, over and over and ................. I got the same result
> attempting to login as root. I have to assume that grub has been corrupted>

As others have already pointed out, this likely has absolutely nothing
to do with GRUB. If you're getting a graphical login/password prompt,
you are well past anything that GRUB is likely to have any impact on.

Try switching to a text virtual terminal; Ctrl+Alt+F1, F2, F3, ...
until you get to one that will give you a "login:" prompt. Log in
there using your normal username and password. What happens when you
try that? Please be as specific as possible.

The few times I've seen anything similar to what you describe,
something has been amiss with the home directory; not mounted,
permissions, some critical file has been corrupted or deleted, ...
Logging in at a text virtual terminal will eliminate several layers of
complexity and _even if_ it won't allow you to log in, might very well
tell you more directly what the problem is.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”