Re: Isolated Web Co Session crash Firefox-ESR

On 4/12/23 10:26, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 03/12/2023 13:33, jeremy ardley wrote:
On 3/12/23 13:59, Phil Wyett wrote:
What type of content is generally being viewed/used in firefox?

A lot of video and otherwise news and search and GPT4
---------------------------------------------------^^^^

I am curious if this creature may provide a summary on user-space OOM killers. I have never tried them, but I expect that they may be more intelligent than the kernel-space one. I have seen mentions of the following ones: earlyoom, nohang, oomd.

Do you have AI browser extensions that may load huge models in respect to memory footprint?

When the system starts to become sluggish, have you looked at the firefox 'Task Manager' under tools to see if anything stands out?

Previously I have seen the Isolated Web Co processes maxing CPU and the CPU fans starting to roar. Nothing unusual in content at the time and if I kill all ESR related processes it quiets down and I can resume the closed windows and tabs at much reduced CPU

It is just a process that is responsible for some web pages. JavaScript loaded for particular sites may leak. Videos may consume RAM as well. I would not rely too much on ability of an application to recover after killing of its specific processes. From my point of view it is better to restart Firefox in such cases.

Perhaps it is possible to find a particular site that causes issues, but you need to inspect system namely when it is becoming sluggish.

Firefox has the about:processes and about:performance tools. They may be accessed from the about:about list.

Try to sort top(1) output by memory ("M" key), try df(1) to check tmpfs usage for the case that enough temporary video files are stored there.

I believed that 32G of RAM is still above that "average" users have, so it should be enough. Other suggestions surprised me that 0.5G of swap may significantly change anything since it is less than 2% of RAM.

I have discovered a magic bullet for solving running out of memory

sudo sync; sudo sh -c 'echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches'

Sadly it looks like I'll need to do this daily, simply for using Debian Bookworm with a variety of web browsers