Re: DHCP Problem, but where

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 22:32:59 -0500
Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> The "restart your dhcp clients" may have a sharp edge. Sometimes the
> clients have a touch of resiliency or hardening added so they contact
> their original dhcp server, and not a [possibly] rogue server setup by
> an unknowing developer or attacker. In the past, you used to have to
> reboot Microsoft clients to get them to use the new dhcp server. I
> don't know Linux behavior.
>
> But if the problem is, dhcp clients are using the old dhcp server or
> old dhcp lease info, then I would try to reboot a client if the
> service restart did not help.

I think the ISC dhclient (which is what I use here) does try to return
to its original server. Rather than reboot anything, I simply stopped
the DHCP server on that machine. Apparently clients then started back at
the beginning. Shortening the lease time accelerates that process.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/