Re: time question, as in ntp?

On 12/1/23 05:59, gene heskett wrote:
On 12/1/23 05:41, Dan Purgert wrote:
On Nov 30, 2023, gene heskett wrote:
On 11/30/23 22:07, John Hasler wrote:
Gene writes:
let me clarify: This buster machine acting like a 3d printer does NOT
have dhcpcd installed. No trace of it in /etc Only dhcp.

I'm sure it's running dhclient.  do

      ls /etc/dhcp

and

          ps ax | grep dhc

You don't need to do anything on that machine.  Just install a dhcp
server somewhere on your network (on the router is conventional) and it
will give that machine an ip number.

At risk of repeating myself forever, I don't need an unstable address, I
don't want whatever the heck is left in the pool. Hosts files do that, dhcp
doesn't. It just hands out the next number in the pool.  hosts files are
static. A forveer lease.

DHCP will only hand out the "next" ('unstable') address to a host that
currently has no valid lease AND does not have a reservation set on the
DHCP server.  Reservations are based on host MAC address.

Any host that has a valid lease will renew that lease indefinitely, at
lease half-life (and if the DHCP server happens to be missing at
half-life, retry at 7/8ths ).

Assuming I install a dhcp SERVER on this machine, how do I edit the client.conf on that machine to query this one?, and how to I enable this "reservation" on this SERVER so it hands out a stable address ONLY if the reservation matches? Point me at the docs please and I'll go away.

You claim I don't have to do anything to that printer machine, so I installed the ICC server here. I have done zip to the dhcpd.conf which looks as it it is fully disabled. Assuming I want a pool of 16 addresses, say from 192.168.71.100 to 192.168.71.115, what do I uncomment and fill in, in dhcpd.conf?

If I'm going to have to do this, I want it done the approved way.

I want the server to only respond to the MAC address of that printer, no response to any other MAC that might come calling.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)