Re: Password managers

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 21:58:17 -0500
<paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

>As it happens, pass(1) appeared to be precisely what I was looking for.
>My original code stores all passwords in a single file, whereas pass
>stores each password in a separate file. In addition, I don't need pass
>in order to decode the password files. If pass every goes away or
>disappears from the Debian repos, I can still fetch my passwords (and
>associated data). Plus, it will insert any line in the password file
>into the clipboard. And it's a terminal app. Yay.

Good to see there's still an option for every liking. Turns out my
expectations are not that far from yours, though gpg is a no-go for me
(hence almost all in-repo managers) and bash/git magic all but out of
the question for anyone also using mobile. I know it's not workable for
everyone, but if your usage of oldschool passwords is still manageable,
already decreasing and/or you're using them only where you really have
to, going stateless is another clean, quick and unbloated option:

https://www.lesspass.com/
https://github.com/lesspass/lesspass

Debian has "gokey", perhaps the exception I could use otherwise, same
principle but apparently very bare-bones, cannot say more about that.
I've been using lesspass for years, it means I'm not saving anything,
anywhere. Nothing can be stolen, lost, destroyed or has to be synced.
Passwords are computed each time by way of "site", "login" and my
master password, they can still be changed of course if I have to. For
many people, however, that gets unwieldy real fast as you have to
remember not only all site/login combinations but also specifics like
length, excluded symbols and possibly counter. So before long many
would start populating some kind of database anyway, defeating the
whole concept. On the other hand you can use it on the CLI too, there's
a Python module, though not in Debian, and the Web interface is quite
handy. F-Droid even has a (very simple) app for Android. It's not a
recommendation for you, as one cannot save let alone annotate anything,
but maybe someone else is interested. I'ver never been a fan of
managers, don't like to save stuff in the browser(s) and the idea of
pulling in 100 MiB or half of the wacky Qt cosmos just in order to save
a few phrases makes my nose bleed.

Oliver