Re: Hardware for a back up server? [WAS Re: How to use dmsetuup?]

On 11/11/23 12:05, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Are these 2TB SSDs or hard disks? I would counsel very strongly indeed
against using any ARM-based single board computer as a RAID device on
USB connections - they're just *not* up to it.
I don't think the issue is whether they're ARM based.

The issue is simply how you connect the disks: in my experience, disks
connected via USB are simply not quite up to a 24/7 situation,
especially if the disk is USB-powered.

         Stefan

I have used ssd drives connected to a RPI4 ever since the 4 came out, zero issues.

The RPI4's boot from the ssd drives.

I have 4 SSD drives connected to a single RPI4 currently, using a powered USB hub.

One of those drives contains the boot and root filesystems.

BTW that particular RPI4 runs 24/7 as it is my name server, email server, web server and backup server for my network.

It has an uptime of 18 months.

--
It's not easy to be me