Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/6/23 08:47, Franco Martelli wrote:
On 03/11/23 at 17:27, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;
As usual, the man page may as well be written in swahili. The NDE syndrome, meaning No D-----d Examples.

I have those 2 2T SSD's with a gpt partition table on both, allocated as sdc1 and sdk1, formatted to ext4, named and labeled as lvm1 and lvm2.
Temp mounted as sdc1 and sdk1 to /mnt/lvm1 and /mnt/lvm2

How do I create a single managed volume of labels lvm1 and lvm2 of these to make a single volume that I can then rsynch /home to it, then switch fstab to mount it as /home on a reboot?

You do not put a file system on the partitions you are using as LVM physical volumes. And you do not mount them.

The rough procedure is

Create LVM physical volumes on raw disk partitions using pvcreate  (or lvm pvcreate) e. g.,

pvcreate /dev/sdc1
pvcreate /dev/sdk1

This gives you two physical volumes to use to create one or two volume groups
Create an LVM volume group using vgcreate (or lvm vgcreate), e. g.,

vgcreate home-vg sdc1 sdk1

This gives you a volume group named "home-vg" with 4.4 TB raw storage in which you can create one or more logical volumes.
Create the logical volumes you want. It appears you want only one, to mounted at /home. For instance,

lvcreate --size 1024G -n home-volume home-vg

will create a 1 TB logical volume, represented under dev by /dev/home-vg/home-volume

Put a file system on the logical volume in the normal way, such  as:

mkfs -t ext4 /dev/home-vg/home-volume

mount the new volume (and put it in /etc/fstab for mounting at boot:

mount /dev/home-vg/home-volume /home

Doing this probably will not give you what you want. (For instance, if I remember right, the entire logical volume would, in this case, wind up on the first-named physical volume vgcreate command.) The man pages for lvm and its subcommands offer a lot of options for things like storage allocation between/among multiple physical volumes that make up a volume group, the size of allocation units, such things as RAID level, and a large number of other properties. You probably know what you want, and from what I've seen on this list seem quite able to fish it up out of the man pages, some of which have usefully suggestive examples.

OTOH, I would recommend ZFS for this based on experience with LVM and ZFS in both commercial (e. g., HP-UX and SolaRIS) and Linux environments. Both have learning curves that I would judge comparable, both are flexible and fairly easy to manage, and both are or can be highly resilient. On the whole, though, I prefer ZFS.

Regards,
Tom Dial

How about to use debian-installer: burn the dvd image of Bookworm 12.2, put into the DVD drive then reboot the system. You have to choose "Expert Install" and it's all menu driven from RAID device creation to LVM logical device and logical volume names.
I don't know if you can do that from debian-installer rescue disk mode.

HTH
kinds regards