locate question

Greetings all;
I dunno if I've forgot how to use it, or it broken by the same bug that killing me with the lagging access to my home raid10.

Fact: there are probably over 100 files in my /home/gene directory and all its subs with assorted names ending in ".scad", made by OpenSCAD
Fact: I just ran "sudo updatedb" and generated a new date just now,
/var/cache/locate/locatedb.n
so that s/b uptodate.
Al of those files should be spit out by:
"locate *.scad" issued from an xfce terminal
but I get:
gene@coyote:~$ locate *.scad
/home/gene/vac_ctrl_box.scad
/home/gene/xhome_cable.scad

Acc an ls -R|wc -l  there are
433179
files in my /home/gene directory

so locate isn't working as I think it should.
try find but it finds the whole my whole local net:
gene@coyote:~$ find .scad .  |wc -l
find: ‘.scad’: No such file or directory
1176532

What am I doing wrong?

I put some more code into Downloads/3dp-stf/vise-screws/master_vise_screw.scad in October, saving it many times, but there is not a trace of that added code in it now.

Looking at that file with an ls -l the saved date seems correct,
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene 29069 Oct 24 11:36 Downloads/3dp.stf/vise-screw/master_vise_screw.scad
but the file itself is weeks, maybe a couple months old.

Its as if the file systems (ext4) cache is NOT being properly updated and its updating the file dates but not the contents. I can probably re-invent that wheel but its at least a days work.

I am also a heavy user of LinuxCNC, and its been forcing me to reload my gcode after saving the modified file by useing the same open NEW file procedure used to load a new file, the menu's reload entry gets me old code, and so does the linuxcnc's axis gui's convenient reload button. I gets old code from the cache But I must force a re-display of the file list and select it by name in order to get the code I just edited.

If the name starts with a v its 2 minutes of scrolling thru the list to get to it, very distracting from the train of thought when debugging the g-code.

This is just one of many times this same basic problem has attacked me.

Is there a more dependable linux filesystem than ext4?

I can demo this behavior problem on at least 3 other amd64 machines on my home net. I don't recall seeing it on my single armhf, and relatively untested recent bookworm arm64 install. A test edit, adding a comment at the end of the file, was successfully reloaded with the comment so I don't believe the armhf or arm64 version has this problem.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis