Re: All the unicorns are dead on Linux (was: How to compare contents of two folders against third one?)

On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 11:57:59AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 1:56 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

[...]

> > I concur with Nicolas: every time you say "folder", a unicorn dies.
>
> If you ask folks like Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike, they will tell you
> all the unicorns are dead on Linux because everything is _not_ a file.
> The only safe harbor for the unicorns are Plan9 and now Inferno. Plan9
> and Inferno carry on the original Unix philosophy of "everything is a
> file."

:-)

To be fair, though, these days, with ext4, you can make a directory with
40000 entries in it and you won't notice.

But yes, Plan9 is cool. Closing a GUI window by rm'ing a file has some...
class :-)

Cheers