Re: On folders vs. directories and history [was: how to compare...]

On Fri, Nov 03, 2023 at 08:46:36AM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> tomas@tuxteam.de (12023-11-03):
> > The other is related: folder has become the culture of those
> > who want to "sell you knowledge", i.e. of those whose business
> > model is based on keeping you dumb.
>
> Ear, ear!
>
> Also, that metaphor is easy, but it is very shaky. In the physical
> world, I have *sometimes* seen a folder inside a folder, but a folder
> inside a folder inside a folder inside a folder…

It's folders all the way down [1]!

Small anecdote: there was an old Linux distro (ISTR it was SuSE)
where something below /etc/init.d (or was it /etc/rc.d? It's a
long while ago) was a symlink to the parent directory, creating
an infinite hierarchy (or a circular reference, depending on how
you squint).

For some reason, that part of the file system was exported via
Samba.

Windows machines stumbling upon that part of the world got lost
every time and had to be rebooted...

:-)

Cheers

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_turtles_all_the_way_down