Re: How to compare one folder to one directory (was: How to compare contents of two folders against third one?)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:59:20 +0100
 Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
Michael Kjörling (12023-11-02):
I don't have a reference handy, but I do distinctly recall reading
that Microsoft introduced the term "folder" specifically to also be
able to refer to a concept of "something which is _not_ a directory
but containing a collection of some kind of items".

Things like "My Computer", "Network Neighborhood", "Printers",
"Control Panel" and so on.

IBM also used the term "folder" no later than by OS/2 2.0 [1], but I'm
not sure how far-ranging their usage of the term was. That would be
contemporary with early betas of Windows 95, which introduced the term in Microsoft's ecosystem (they used the term "folder" in mid-1993[2],
and Wikipedia puts a first OS/2 2.0 release at October 1991).

Exactly. The word “folder” belongs in the “computers are too complicated for you so we'll make them guess what you want to do and pretend they're easy but it's normal if they crash” mentality where we cannot get the
computer to do what you want because it is second-guessing our
instructions: vague and not suited for technical communication.

Regards,

--
 Nicolas George

The language used is not English.