Re: Installing on Radxa Rock Pi 4B using SD-card-images

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:17:24 -0400
 Daniel Gnoutcheff <gnoutchd@softwarefreedom.org> wrote:
I have a Radxa Rock Pi 4B (an arm64 single-board computer) with a (removable) eMMC module. I'd like to install Debian stable on it, and would strongly prefer to use official Debian binaries and images.

I successfully booted debian-installer from eMMC after flashing the rock-pi-4-rk3999 SD card image from [1] (using an eMMC-to-microSD adapter and following the instructions in README.concatenateable_images). However, I can't find much information on how to use the installer on this board once it's started. The Installation Manual [2] doesn't discuss the concatenateable images at all and says only that non-UEFI boards might need certain unspecified shell commands after install to make them bootable.

I tried installing to the eMMC module that the installer itself booted from (using guided full-disk partitioning with LVM) with the hope that this would at least preserve/re-use the copy of u-boot already there. (IIRC this worked for me on other SBCs, but I may have been using a different partitioning mode.) The install finished and I rebooted when prompted, but I got nothing -- no response to pings and no HDMI output, not even from u-boot. Same story after a hard power-cycle. I guess u-boot got clobbered after all?

Anybody here know how these installers were meant to be used? Has this been documented anywhere?

Thanks,
Daniel G.

[1] https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bookworm/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/
[2] https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/arm64/