Re: Alternative to NetworkManager on Debian 12

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 11:43:32AM +0100, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
> I've read on an old email that many don't use NM for network configuration.
> I'm using it  because I replaced some CentOS installation with Debian 12.
>
> What is the default method to configure the network?

Depends on how you install.

> There is an alternative to NM on Debian 12?

ALL installations of ALL versions of Debian support "ifupdown", also
known as /etc/network/interfaces, for configuring the network.  If
your system is NOT a laptop, and doesn't move around from place to
place, this is probably what you want.

Servers?  Ethernet-based workstations?  This is probably what you want.

If you install a Desktop Environment when you install Debian, then you
probably also get Network Manager.  This is designed for laptops and
other systems whose networking may change at any time, or for systems
that rely on wireless networking rather than ethernet.  If that describes
your system, then this is probably what you'll be using.

Debian also supports systemd-networkd for configuring the network.
This is available, but is not configured by default.  If you want to
use this, you may do so.  I know very little about it, so I can't
tell you what use cases it's best for.

Ultimately, Debian offers flexibility and choice.  Use whatever works
best for you and your systems.