Re: Letting Windows go: scanning

On 9/20/23 14:38, Tom Browder wrote:

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 13:27 Klaus Singvogel <deb-user-ml@singvogel.net <mailto:deb-user-ml@singvogel.net>> wrote:

    Michael Kjörling wrote:
     > On 20 Sep 2023 12:26 -0500, from tom.browder@gmail.com
    <mailto:tom.browder@gmail.com> (Tom Browder):
     > > “Laser Jet Pro 400 MFP m425dn”
     >
     > openprinting.org <http://openprinting.org> doesn't seem to have
    heard of it, unfortunately:

     > https://openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP
    <https://openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP>

    Unfortunately you made only the first step and not all.

    Looking at
    https://openprinting.org/driver/hplip/
    <https://openprinting.org/driver/hplip/>

    will lead you via "Supported Devices"-link to
    https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index <https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index>

    At HP's website you'll search and find the information that it is
    Full supported.

             HP LaserJet 400 MFP m425dn
                     Min HPLIP Version: 3.12.6
                     Chrome OS Support: Yes
                     Driver Plug-in: Yes
                     Supported Level: Full
                     Print Model: Mono
                     Scan PC: Yes

    So, install the required hplip packages for Debian (OpenSource) and
    see that it is supported.

Thank you, Klaus! I was disappointed I didn't find it because I remember having to modify some CUPS driver or interface many years ago when I first got the printer. And that was to print. I'm not sure I ever got reliable scanning on Linux.

I'll report back soon.

-Tom

And while I may have missed it, there has been no mention of what has been the default scanner utility for a decade or more. Is it known for sure that sane/xsane does not support this device?

That would have been my first choice of paths. My Brother MFC-J6920DW may have in its many year history sold under 10,000 because of its up-front cost. Among its features are an 11x17 scanner in the top, with a duplex capable ADF feeder in the top for up to letter/a4 paper. With Brothers brscan drivers and xsane, its quite capable of using every feature it brags about, thru a usb interface or an ipv4 interface.

Brother's linux drivers fully support every feature this printer supports. And the ink tanks are bigger that most. And if powered up, it autocleans the nozzles a couple times a day leading to its being almost a decade old now, w/o ever a clogged nozzle. The only ink squirter I've ever had that did not expire from clogged nozzles, sometimes before the warranty was up.

So whats wrong that no one has suggested sane/xsane?

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis