Re: su

On 14/09/2023 22:26, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

I noticed the issue just before the upgrade to bookworm (I wanted
to do that for the upgrade). But I can't reproduce it in bookworm.
So this may have been an old bug that has been fixed.

I do not follow the topic, so I can not attribute changes to particular releases, but certainly I see progress: new features in terminal applications, changes in terminal definitions, adding new ones like tmux flavors.

IIRC, this was text positioning issues, perhaps when recalling
commands from the history.

It may be related to a readline library. E.g. bash does not rely on

    xterm*VT100.reverseWrap: true

BTW, I don't think that the preservation of $TERM is sufficient.
Preserving $TERMINFO (when set) is important too.

I do not use TERMINFO, however if you need to preserve it than you may use

    su --whitelist-environment=TERMINFO -

My use case is lxc-attach and DISPLAY.