Re: using ddrescue on the root partition - boot with / as read-only

On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 01:54:04PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to use ddrescue on the root partition of my laptop.
>
> So I need to have the root partition mounted in read-only mode.
> How can I do that?

In roughly ascending order of comfort (but also of "external tools
needed"):

 - break out in the initramfs, before root is pivoted to
   your customary root partition. At this point your system
   is running on the loaded initramfs (enter 'break=pre-mount'
   at the grub command line ** NOTE: please, double check this,
   it's from memory!)
 - use a "live" OS (either explicitly built for that, like
   Knoppix, or, e.g. Debian's "rescue" mode)
 - extract the disk and put it (perhaps in a USB case) into
   another computer

I'm sure there are others :-)

Cheers